Saturday, June 26, 2010

Labels, Feminist, and Lesbianism

I don't know what exactly inspired me to write this blog...maybe it was the recent article about feminism in the metro a couple days ago, or the fact that my newly acquired status of being legal has led me to meet quite a few ignorant men and some of their douchbagaryness (for lack of a better fitting word).
I, personally really dislike labels. I have a strong opinion when it comes to equal rights and the female movement, but I hate it when people call me a feminist. I feel as if I am put into this little box, unable to be identified other than this or that ; dancer, feminist, lesbian..etc.
I also really dislike when people label me as lesbian or bisexual. Yes, I am attracted to women and yes, I am also attracted to men. I hate explaining myself to people when they ask my sexual preference only because I DON'T HAVE ONE. If you don't know me by now, I have a PERSONALITY PREFERENCE. If your cool and we can chill, vibe together, laugh together, and if someone can show me a good time and be comfortable in their own skin- you definitely have some brownie points with me. It doesn't matter if you are a girl, a guy, a girlguy- WHATEVER. I am attracted to the person he, she, or heshe might be. This is the way I am wired and if people don't like it or are uncomfortable with it- I understand that everyone is different. Oh and if I ever hear the words "I'm going to turn you straight" or "Are you a lesbian now?" I will seriously try and shoot your privates. Just kidding. But seriously, the minute we all stop labeling ourselves and other people; we can all start to see other people in so many different ways. Personally, realizing this has helped me grow as a person and not be so judgmental all the fucking time. We are all unique beings and creating these labels for one another and also ourselves is putting a damper on self-expression and freedom. We aren't just static, 2 dimensional characters. We're forever changing, re-creating, and re-molding who we are and labels just put all the effort we invest in ourselves to waste.
So just to clear things up, I'm not just a dancer, I'm not a lesbian or bisexual, and I'm not a feminist. I am me.

Word.

No comments:

Post a Comment